Thursday, 17 August 2017
Van rams into crowd in Barcelona
Officials say 13 killed and 80 others injured when van crashes into crowds
Police say the incident is being treated as a terrorist attack
Two people arrested, with reports of another suspect killed in a shootout
People took cover in nearby shops and cafes
The famous Las Ramblas boulevard is a tourist hotspot.
Belgium's deputy PM confirms a Belgian man is among the 13 victims of the Barcelona attack, offering his condolences to the family on
We will vanquish terrorism'
Catalonia's regional president confirmed in a news conference that two people have been arrested and 80 people have been hospitalised.
the Catalan police also said that a driver ran into two policemen at a Barcelona checkpoint earlier on Thursday.
Catalonia's regional head has vowed to "vanquish terrorism" as he thanked emergency services.
Carles Puigdemont also thanked the people of Barcelona and others around the world who had offered their support in the wake of the terror attack.
"Catalonia is and has always been a peaceful land where other people are welcome," he told the press conference, held hours after a van ploughed through a crowd in Barcelona.
"Catalonia will always prevail in the face of terrorism," he added. "We will always be united.
"Democracy will always win against barbarism."
Barcelona's mayor, Ada Colau, said the city would hold a minute of silence on Friday at midday.
Share to Twitter
Share to Facebook
Share to Pinterest
Post a Comment
Post Comments (Atom)